Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:41:13 +0100
Hello Bob,

        Pity about the missing traps, but I am glad you were able to
diagnose the problem with the 15m trap. Now you can see how they were made,
it should not be difficult to obtain plastic tube or rod to use as the
former, with the added aluminium tube to fit at each end.

        The outer trap cover forms the fixed capacitance, coupled to the
coil and the lower antenna element, and the plastic spacer adds some
mechanical stability; however, it may be possible to re-use aluminium drinks
cans, after you have drunk the contents, to form the basis of your
replacement HB traps. You will need to work out the inductance and
capacitance to work on the missing bands, but with some ingenuity, and a
GDO, I am sure you will succeed.  You could use copper wire of course; the
aluminium stuff was used by Hygain because it was cheaper!

        The last resort might be to seek another 18AVT from Ebay or your
friends....I have two in my garage, both destined to be used as phased
verticals at my remote GM site, but both those came from friends who had
upgraded to verticals with WARC capability. The user manual for the 18AVT is
available as a .pdf on the internet.....best of luck with the rebuild,
sincerely, John G3JVC.