Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:10:21 +0100
>From the practical point of view, if there is insufficient space to provide
a 45 degree angle for the supporting guys for a mast/tower, could the guying
method used to provide support for a ship or yacht mast be considered?

        With the restricted beam of a yacht, for example, the mast requires
considerable support to withstand the forces applied when all the sails are
rigged and full of wind. A "cross beam" at a point high up on the mast
allows for the support guys to change direction and be rerouted to fixings
on either side of the hull. However, not having any experience in sailing or
boatbuilding, I am not sure of the conditions whereby a yacht can lose a
mast when under sail. Perhaps we have some marine architects among the group
who could provide the answers.

        I would be interested to hear others views.

        Sincerely, John G3JVC.