Re: [TowerTalk] Telescoping TV Mast Installation questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telescoping TV Mast Installation questions
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:25:37 -0500
I've put up a couple of 50 footers on the ground.  Never again.  Mine
were Tessos made in Canada.  They are maybe the cheapest way to gain
height but in my opinion, any over 20 or 30 feet are really nasty to
work with.  I would not even wish this job on someone I'm paying but
moving on to useful advice, I'd forget about 50 feet and go with a
Glen Martin roof top tower.  They have one that is I think 25 feet
tall and several heights less than that. No guying, all aluminum and
very solid.   They cost more but you get what you pay for.

Here's the skinny:  When you plan an antenna project, it is always a
good idea to think about how you are going to undo what you are
planning on putting up, because sooner or later, someone is going to
face dismantling your structure.  Speaking for myself, I like to know
how I'm going to avoid getting painted into a corner, and taking down
an old 50 foot mast that's up on a roof, may not go according to plan.
 However, a shorter but more solid single piece quad mount may be
easier to fold over and handle.

73

Rob
K5UJ