Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:51:20 -0500
"Windom" Antennas.

http://www.packetradio.com/windom.htm

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12135

A little history:

http://hamwaves.com/cl-ocfd/history.html#early

The 1956 ARRL Radio Amateur handbook calls them: "Windom" or OFF-Center Fed
Antenna"
Page 343 has a description and shows two methods of feed. One is fed with a
single
wire as the original antenna and the other is with a 300 ohm line and Balun
coils
to a coax which is sometimes called a "Carolina Windom".

They have been called "Windom" at least for the 56 years I have been a ham.

   73 de Jim
     W5IFP