Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G 1000 DXA Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G 1000 DXA Rotor
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 11:43:06 +0000
You need to break the problem down into smaller bits... Too many different
symptoms to tell what it might be from that.

1. ignore the pointer and watch the antenna.  Using manual control does it
go the full 450 degrees?  If it turns some but not the full 450 degrees
there is a mechanical problem in the rotor, fix that first.
2. if #1 passes disconnect the cable from the control box and measure the
resistance of the pot, I think those are 500 ohms end to end, if it doesn't
read the right value from end to end and from the wiper to both ends doesn't
add up to 500 then it could be the cable or the pot itself.  Go up the tower
and read the pot at the connector there to figure it out... While you are at
that check the cable for shorts, opens, or low resistance caused by water
intrusion.

Check the schematic for the dxa version, I think they are the same as the
sdx that I have but I'm not sure.  In the sdx version the motor power leads
are isolated from ground, so measuring from each of the leads to ground
should be infinite.  If not the motor voltage could be feeding back in the
indicator circuit causing the indicator to jump when you start or stop
rotating.  This will also upset the speed control circuit if it is still the
same as the sdx control box. There was a common fault in the sdx rotor where
one of the filter caps would short to ground causing odd speed problems.

Check out the notes on my web site for the gxxxx series of rotors:
http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/techref.html#rotors

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

nt&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4