Re: [TowerTalk] lube on cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com, dmess4391@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lube on cables
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 17:42:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/3/2010 12:01:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  This is the answer I got from UST when I asked about  lube on the cables
on a TX-455 that I bought used.
We actually don't  recommend putting anything on the cables at all.  It can
make them slip  from the pulley's on the tower.

    Ha ha - that's a good one. They SHOULD  recommend cable lubricant as
per the wire rope manufacturers but obviously  don't. I don't know of ANY
cable slipping off of a pulley. Anybody ever heard  of this during ham
operation?

>  We recommend changing the cable's every 3-4 years  depending on the area
you live in.

    Sure - "weasel clause".

>  You can use bee's wax on the tower to help the tower  extend and retract
cleaner.

    All you have to do is extend the tower completely  and then climb up it
and grease/wax the legs which IMO is unnecessary. The  wear on the legs is
pretty small and will not cause catastrophic tower  failure, which cable
failure will. I wouldn't worry about the legs but I  strongly recommend
periodic cable lubrication.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -