Re: [TowerTalk] Loran tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loran tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 18:35:15 -0400

On 5/5/2010 8:25 AM, Mike & Becca Krzystyniak wrote:
> Did they decomission the VOR system too?   Seems most major airports have
> installed and are using large VOR arrays like these...

This is a bit OT, but...They are already decomissioning the NDB's. The
VORs are "Unofficially" slated to be decomissioned within the next
decade. Also...With the "NextGen" system they are "talking" about using
GPS instead of RADAR in addition to using it for navigation.  It's a
really slick system where every one in the system can see every one else
"in the system". You get your clearance (and amendments) through the
Mode S transponder.  It's typed right out on a screen in front of you.
(We've had that ability for some time for the "big boys").  They are
rolling out two NextGen systems with one out East (Philadelphia or
Boston?) and the other to be the Northern Kentucky Regional, just South
of Cincinnati Ohio.

The system works great, but "from what I've seen" it will ALL really
hinge on GPS.

> http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4839614

That does not look like any VOR I've ever seen.  Typically the VOR is a
very distinctive Cone *white* shaped device that sets on a round, flat,
pedestal. It's color and distinctive shape make it very easy to spot
from even 10,000 feet.  If you look up the airport KMOP at Mt Pleasant
MI look to the north of the mid point on the NE runway. It's about the
size of a small plane.

Although they claim the one in the link is a VOR it looks more like a
phased array, rather than a VOR. Also that points up, while the VOR
points out.  VORs run just above the FM broadcast band with many in the
112 MHz range. I've never seen even a 50 watt mobile station in the
plane bother it.

73

Roger (K8RI)