[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding question
From: hanslg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:25:53 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger (K8RI) <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 9:58 pm
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding question

On 5/11/2010 7:40 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:06:36 -0700 (PDT), AI4WM Bill wrote:
>

>> Most residential grounding is for safety and not lightning protection.
>>
> WRONG!  One of the objectives of the grounding requirements of electrical
> building codes is LIGHTING SAFETY. The other objectives are fire safety and
> protection of personnel from electrical shock.

NO practical and economically palatable ground system is 100% protection
from a direct lightning strike.
NO ground system I've seen is 100% effective against all lightning
strikes including the "super strikes"
The ground required by code is minimal even for nearby strikes.
To  gain substantial protection all lines coming into the home need to
enter at, and be grounded at a common point.  This is more important to
a point that having a substantial ground system.
code for Entrance grounds apparently does not take a typical ham station
in the home into consideration.
I believe there is a section in the NEC for ham stations, antennas, and
grounding, but I've never seen it applied nor found an inspector who
appeared to be interested.

Gentlemen,

When I rebuilt my house, after it was burnt down due to a lightning strike, I
decided to install 3/4" copper pipe (regular schedule M plumbing pipe) for
lightning protection. I put piper along all corners, ridges etc, just like you
would do with a regular system.

An other electrical engineer and I felt four 3/4" Cu pipes should be able to
conduct the current expected from a super-hit.

G-d has tested this installation at least twice, probably more. I have four 8'
copper clad steel grounding rods, one at each corner of my house and there has
been no damages to my house. I don't think I had a super-hit, but two direct
hits were there. the second blow out all my surge protectors, so I had some
damages. Economical? It was a lot cheaper to install this system than
rebuilding the house. (been there, done that!)

If you need more details of what I, did just "spill the bean".

73 de Hans - N2JFS