Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:43:19 -0400
I would buy 2" schedule 80 T6061 pipe, which has an OD of 2.375 and have it
machined down to fit inside your boom.

John KK9A

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring
From: "Bruce Meier" <bemeier@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 06:27:21 -0400

I will soon be installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring rotor.   If you are familiar
with the XM240, you know the boom splits in the middle and, when mounted to
a mast, uses a very solid set of mounting brackets (inside tube, external
bracket) to strengthen the boom tube junction.   This bracket will simply
not fit on the Tic Ring saddle mount.   The simple way to solve this issue
is to purchase more aluminum to sleeve the boom junction.  Well, I have been
looking for the correct size to allow it to telescope inside and outside but
can find any.  The boom is 2 ½" OD, 2 3/8" ID.   I can find 2 ½" ID, but I
am reasonable sure that won't slide over the  boom.

Any suggestions how to join the two boom halves or were I can find some
2.510" ID and/or 2.365" OD aluminum tube?

73,
Bruce - N1LN