[TowerTalk] STEPPIR and Wind Direction..

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, "Ken Eigsti" <diverken@chaffee.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR and Wind Direction..
From: Óscar Luis Fernández Lanza <ea1dr@ea1dr.es>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:44:14 +0200
Hi Ken (W0LSD),

Glad to know from you again. I am going to tell you my experience with the
same rotator and antenna.

I always put the antenna towards the wind's direction. If the wind was
blowing from West, the antenna was beaming West, and at least with the
HyGain explorer and the Optibeam ob-9-5 everything was going fine. I never
had a single problem...but when I changed to the 3 el. Steppir + 30/40 kit I
realised that the wind could always turn it a bit, maybe due to the large
size of the trombon...besides in the last couple of years we have been
suffering extremely extraordinary strong winds, so as I realised the wind
could turn it I decided to try to change the bearing of the antenna...so now
when the West wind blew the antenna was pointing North...therefore the
trombon was in a way pointing the wind....and since then the antenna hasn't
moved again!

I have been using this system for a while and it is really working well.
Never had the same problem again, however in my country house I have got a 4
el. with no trombon and the prosistel 2071...I leave it beaming the winds
direction as the boom is longer than the elements...but unfortunately this
one has not resisted the wind's strength.

It had 8mm screws and all of them had been pulled out....and the antenna has
been turning like a weathervane for 2 months...and I found out it turned all
alone towards the winds direction when it blew.

I decided to change the rotator in the end, and now I have a prosistel
PST-71, which has been a remarkable change, being much stronger now.

Best regards Ken and I am happy to know everything's fine on your side.

Your friend

EA1DR Òscar Luis

ea1dr@ea1dr.es

73's es DX

ADVERTENCIA LEGAL:
Este mensaje, y en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, puede contener
información confidencial, siendo para uso exclusivo del destinatario,
quedando prohibida su divulgación copia o distribución a terceros sin la
autorización expresa del remitente.
Si Vd. ha recibido este mensaje erróneamente, se ruega lo notifique al
remitente y proceda a su borrado.
Gracias por su colaboración.

This message, and in the case of any file annexed to it, can have
confidential information, and it is exclusively for the use of the addresse
of the message. It is strictly forbidden to spread a copy or distribute to
third parties, without the express order of the sender.
If you have received this message mistakenly, we request you to notify to
the sender, and please be sure to erase it.
Thank you for your collaboration.