Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns/tutorial/notes.
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 14:37:01 -0700
On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:59:27 -0700, Kevin Normoyle wrote:

>Am I wrong there?

Yes, you're wrong. :)  #61 is a poor core material, because its Q
is too high. For all the reasons discussed in my tutorial, we want
RESISTANCE, not reactance, and we want it to be as broadband as
possible (i.e., low Q).

We ALWAYS want common mode chokes to be low Q with a high value of
resistance at all frequencies. This makes them relatively
insensitive to the length of the line they're suppressing.

On the other hand, we generally want TRANSFORMERS to be LOW LOSS
(high Q) if they're handling high power. However, when we're
widning broadband transformers that don't handle power, as in the
case of interstage transformers and Beverage transformers, loss
doesn't matter, and low Q may help broadband the circuit.

73,

Jim K9YC