Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal

To: krgoodwin@comcast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal
From: Brahmangou@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:04:32 EDT
Keeping in mind that none of my arrays are over 300 lb. The last few times
I changed out a rotor, it went pretty easy.
1 loosen the set screws on the thrust bearing
2 loosen the mast clamp on the rotor
3 this depends on the rotor being removed, but usually I use an 18" snap on
 pry bar to raise the mast about 1/2"
4 Slip the hook from a ratchet strap into the bottom of the mast. If it is
particularly heavy, slip in two
5 ease off of pry bay and let mast rest on hooks.
6 attach other end of ratchet straps to top plate and ratchet it up as
necessary
7 tighten set screws in thrust bearing, then remove old rotor

Most times you only need to raise the mast a few inches to gain clearance
for removal and replacement. If it is more, many of the other suggestions
sound  like they would work fine. Dragging a come along or chain fall up a
tower is  awkward at best and I'd like to avoid it if possible. My ratchet
straps are  rated for 1000lbs each.
73,
AB5GU Marty

In a message dated 5/25/2010 2:12:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,