Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning suppression through coax loops

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning suppression through coax loops
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:04:25 -0400

On 5/28/2010 10:37 AM, jimlux wrote:
> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2010 1:39 AM, jimlux wrote:
>>
>>> Uhhh... I'd kind of like to see a physics explanation of not like to
>>> travel in circles or bends and getting off and going somewhere else.
>>>

>> Well, lightning likes to take the shortest path although that may not be
>> a straight line
>>
> A bit anthropomorphic isn't it..

Wasn't intended to be.
> I think a fairer statement is that lightning is an electrical current,
> and it distributes according to the impedances.  "take shortest path"
> leads folks to believe that it ALL goes on the shortest path, and
> therein lies much trouble.

Agreed

>> Any conductor, straight, bent, circular, or crooked has inductance.
>> The rise time of a pulse creates a reverse EMF. The steeper the rise
>> time the greater the reverse EMF.
>>
> Sure

I forgot to add this is also dependent on the huge current within the
stroke which may not be in the initial stroke.
>> A discontinuity in the coax such as a bend or coil increases the
>> inductance at that point.
>> In the case of a coil and a rapid rise time the shortest path may be
>> from turn to turn, to another cable, or to the tower rather than to
>> continue through the coil.
>>

> Nope.. I think you have a non-physics definition of "shortest path"..
>
> What happens is this.. the voltage rises (because of the inductance) and
> then, if and only if, that voltage is greater than the breakdown
> strength of the insulation, you get a breakdown to the adjacent
> conductor.  If we immersed your coil of coax in a tank of insulating
> oil, the "shortest path", mechanically, hasn't changed, but it won't
> breakdown the same as it would in air.

Worded better than I did, but I think the potential between points can
change rapidly which can also change the path
> Or, you could have coupling via the magnetic field (e.g. a transient on
> the shield of one cable couples a transient to an adjacent cable)

Again, worded much better than I did.
>> I've seen lightning strike the top of a tower and get off half or 3/4 of
>> the way down without following the guy wires. This was explained to me
>> that the rise time created enough reverse EMF to make it easier for the
>> lightning to get off the tower and jump to ground rather than proceed
>> straight ahead even though the tower provided a substantial conductor.
>>
> But what does "make it easier" mean here?  It's not like there's some
> resistance that changes as a function of rise time.  It's a breakdown
> phenomenon... if the voltage is above the breakdown voltage for the gap,
> then it breaks down, an arc forms, and *now* you have a new path.

True, although I'd still say it's due to the induced reverse EMF caused
by the rise time but agree it takes less voltage to jump off the tower
to the ground than overcome that reverse EMF.
> If you're talking about the stroke hitting the top and then coming out
> halfway down, and then forming another arc connecting to the ground,
> that's sort of a different matter.  That's more the chaotic nature of
> the breakdown in a very non-uniform field, and I doubt that small
> changes in inductance have much effect.  Lightning goes in jumps, with
> the prevailing theory going something like this..

Quite possible.
> Just before a discrete jump, the spark channel is fairly conductive, and
> current flows in the channel towards the end of the spark leader
> (because the surrounding electric field is oriented that way).
Agreed
>   As charge
> accumulates at the end of the leader, the voltage at the end starts to
> rise, increasing the Efield at the tip.. when the E field exceeds the
> breakdown strength of the air, a new section of channel starts to form,
> in a pretty much random direction,
It certainly appears random, but a set of conditions must be favorable
for the new leader to take that route.
>   although generally guided by the
> surrounding large scale field (i.e. sparks twist and turn, but generally
> go in one direction).  That new channel grows as long as it can accept
> charge from the existing channel behind it.  The initial breakdown is
> fairly low current, and just ionizes the air, but once the ionization is
> done, the resistance drops, so the current flow into the newly ionized
> area is high enough to heat the air, which reduces the resistance more,
> etc.  It's sort of like connecting a piece of transmission line to the
> end of a longer piece, with the longer piece already having a high DC
> voltage on it.

Agreed again.
> Same deal with hitting an object and jumping off.. current flows, charge
> builds up, exceeds local breakdown strength, new spark leader forms, etc.

I think I said that, but again you have worded it much better.

Just woke up so I'll read more later, but I like your explanation better
than mine.

73

Roger (K8RI)