Re: [TowerTalk] TA32M & Spiderbeam Push Up Mast

To: <w1nk@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TA32M & Spiderbeam Push Up Mast
From: EZ Rhino <ezrhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 23:05:52 -0600
Hi Frank,

It seems like a feasible plan.  I have a little bit of experience with the
SpiderMast, so I can offer some insights.

It is a well built unit, and quite solid when raised.  Its big advantage is the
portability.  It fits inside an 8" square box about 4' long.  It's big downfall
is the major PITA to get an antenna raised on it.  (It's also not particularly
cheap).

I have set up a 5 band SpiderBeam on a 50' Spidermast at Field Day and 7QP.
The reason it is hard to erect is the increasing weight when pushing each
section of mast up.  At first it isn't that bad, but it becomes increasingly
heavier the taller it gets.  It becomes impossible (unless you are Mr. T or
Arnold the Governator) to hold with one hand while tightening the clamps with
the other to keep the section just raised in place.  It really requires two
people.  Also, the mast when fully collapsed is 5-ish to 6 feet tall, which
means you need to stand on a ladder placed right next to it in order to be tall
enough to raise each section.  This puts you at an awkward angle leaning over
to muscle each section up.  Another difficulty is when you push up a section,
the entire mast wants to raise (or come off the ground) because of the close
tolerances (friction) from tube to tube.  Finally, the three guys need to be
continually slackened as the mast goes taller.  This is really tri
 cky if it is windy.

My buddy devised a clever system of using a farm jack (hi lift jack) to jack up
each section, making the raising somewhat easier, but creates a new set of
problems that I won't go into here.  So it takes a minimum of 45 minutes to get
it airborn, and then you run an SWR check and realize the antenna needs tuning
and then you let it down and start all over. hihi.  One advantage is you can
get it completely down in a couple minutes.

We threw in the towel after 7QP this year and pulled the trigger on a Universal
aluminum tower, 4 sections, 40' tall.  With a mast it will be between 45-50 ft.
 Each tower section is tapered and nests inside the largest section, making
transporting it fairly easy in a pickup truck.  (4 sections weigh 85 pounds).
Currently I'm getting it ready for Field Day.  I'm building a hinged base out
of 2x6's and it will be guyed (obviously) at the top.  The mast will have a
hinge on the top which will allow the antenna placed on it horizontal to the
ground when the tower is laying flat, then can be brought to horizontal when
the tower is stood up.  We're going to use a modified falling derrick method of
raising it.

Chris
KF7P