[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Discover 7-3

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Discover 7-3
From: ke2d@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:41:05 +0000 (UTC)

Good Afternoon,

I am constructing a recently purchased Hy-Gain 7-3 40m 3 element yagi. The
manual has a few contradicting typos.  Has anyone on the list actually
constructed one of these?

First - the distance from the end of the boom to the reflector and directors is
given in two places in the manual.  It appears they are reversed in one portion
of the manual as compared to the other.  One is supposed to be 12 inches in,
the other 14 inches in.   Different measurements in two different portions of
the manual.  Same for the spacing between the mast-boom support bracket and the
driven element.  Two different measurements are given in two different manual
pages.  Worst yet, they don't give the spacing measurements between elements,
so I have no way to decipher which measurements are right and which are wrong.

Has anyone modeled this antenna, and if so, have a printout of the results to
go by?

Next - the hairpin match assembly - The two pins (rods) are supposed to be
shorted to the boom at 12 inches in from the end of the rods. However, at that
measurement, the boom portion of the shorting bracket would land right on top
of the bolt that holds two pieces of the boom together.  If I need to go one
side or the other of the bolt, fine, but I'l like to get it right while it's
still on the ground!

Interestingly enough, looking at the 7-2 manual for the 2 element version, the
match rods are shorted at their very ends.  Should there be a 12" difference
between the 2 element and 3 element versions?

Don't even mention calling Hy-Gain.  What a waste of time.  Busy 99% of the
time, usesless bodies answering the other 1%!

Eric

K2WD