Re: [TowerTalk] Type 31 baluns

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Type 31 baluns
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:55:56 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:36:40 -0700, Kevin Normoyle wrote:
>
>> We started this saying the baluns at balundesigns could be outdone. I've
>> not seen the one true answer that makes me believe that yet.
>
> One true answer? Gee, I've published measured data and showed exactly what
> I measured and how I measured it. Have you gotten that from any mfr of any
> balun or similar product?
>
>> What I think i see is a little bit of a cheat: tuning baluns so you say
>> they're "better" for restricted ranges within 3.7-30mhz?
>
> 3.5-30 MHz is hardly a restricted range -- it's all but one of the HF
> bands. How many hams have antennas that cover that much range?  I don't
> have any.

Jim,

Speaking of widebands.. what about recommendations for chokes to use
with an autotuner at the feedpoint/base. That *is* a broadband
application.  My practical experience has been that you need to choke
both the feedline AND the power/control lines to the tuner (not
together.. one choke for coax, one for power).  And, probably, choke it
at both ends.