[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower/Hy-Gain HDR-300/400 Rotor questions

To: Towertalk submit <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower/Hy-Gain HDR-300/400 Rotor questions
From: "Jack/W6NF" <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:20:06 -0700
Four questions:

1) Does anyone know the value of the secondary voltage on the transformer in
an HDR-400/Roto-Brake controller? I have documentation on the rotor but it
does not mention a secondary voltage value. I do not have the controller but
am considering duplicating the original circuit.

2) Can anyone point me to a source of the CA-3161E/3162E IC's in the
HDR-300A rotor? I know the original IC's are long discontinued so
suggestions for suitable replacements would be appreciated. One is an A/D
converter and the other is a 3-digit 7-segment LED driver.

3) I am planning on putting up a 48-foot Rohn-25 tilt-over tower that kinda
fell in to my lap. I am concerned by the original Rohn documentation (circa
1964) that shows a 24x24x36-inch base for the tower, with *no* rebar cage
indicated. Has that information been superceded? I am considering a
36x36x36-inch base with a 24x24-inch cage. Does that sound more reasonable?

Finally: 4) On the tilt-over tower, I would like to use I-beams for the four
anchor points, as indicated in K7LXC's book (excellent read, BTW). These
would *not* be elevated but only about 6-inches above the ground. I wonder
how deep the I-beams should go into the ground to be suitable anchor points?
I am considering this to simplify anchor installation since I have a
contractor neighbor who has augers up to 18-inch diameter and punching holes
for the I-beams, possibly at a 45-degree angle, would be a simple matter.

Any thoughts on these questions?

Thanks and 73,

--
Jack, W6NF