Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack ground
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:43:16 -0700
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:27:25 -0700 (PDT), Tom Anderson wrote:

>Most grounding books and articles suggest

Both building codes and the laws of physics REQUIRE that connection,
they do not SUGGEST it. :)

It's unfortunate that your power and your ham station are on opposite
sides of the house, but this condition is quite common. The connection
must still be made, it must be as short as possible, and it must be
robust.

I've had that condition in two very different QTHs. A good solution is
to run both a bond THROUGH the house (shorter), and AROUND the house
at ground level. What I did was to drive several ground rods at the
power service, bond them to the power system, run a #6 around the
perimeter to the shack, drive 3 rods around the perimeter and tied
them to the #6, drove three more rods at the shack, bonded those to
the coax entry panel. The coax entry panel is bonded to the equipment
on the operating bench. I have steel conduit (thinwall, also known as
EMT) between the power panel and the shack outlets, so that conduit is
also bonded to the coax entry panel, which is bonded to the ground
rods and the gear on the operating bench.

73, Jim Brown K9YC