Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical for a 50' tower

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical for a 50' tower
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:46:06 -0400
Hi John -

My two cents worth, just to keep the thread alive. I go the wire/450 ohm
feeder/tuner route since it all fits easily in a suitcase along with a
little radio, switching PS and a TU. My rule of thumb is to use a tree,
building, whatever, to get a "high point", hopefully 30-50 feet high. Make a
center fed ( i.e needs no radials) vertical. Then, if better 40,80, and
possible even 160  is desired add a 50-100 foot horizontal  top loading
wire.

No radials. Reasonably effecient. Easy to pack and carry on airplane.
Vertical gives some good low angle on the high bands.

Not like a yagi at 100 feet, but works pretty well. Of course, a beach
location and a good DX prefix is worth an extra 10-20 db !

Gene / W2LU