Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400, damage?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400, damage?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:11:30 -0400
Hi Steve,

There are many on here who do this for a profession and know more than
I, but...
All cables are subject to lightning damage including those much larger
than LMR-400 as well as multi conductor control cables.
As far as testing LMR-400 or any coax, there are a number of
possibilities.  A Time Domain Reflectometer(sp?) or TDR, and antenna
analyzers are two.  Undoubtedly there are others. The TDR which is of
course the most expensive will even show you where in the coax the
problem exists.
However if the coax were damaged you'd *likly* notice reduced
performance in the system, or replacing the hardware would not have
helped.  OTOH The jacket could be damaged allowing water to get into the
shield and you'd never notice until corrosion had time to develop. So
you also need to physically examine the coax for damage in addition to
looking for electrical problems.

73

Roger (K8RI)