Re: [TowerTalk] TRI-EX LM470 GEARBOX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TRI-EX LM470 GEARBOX
From: "K4HVR" <K4HVR@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:48:17 -0400
When I read about trying to get oil into a gear box something came into mind
from my truck driving days  that may be helpful. Auto discount parts stores
sell a oil suction and fill gun, looks like a grease gun but you suck
lubricants into the fill tube and then it has a 12" flex hose that you can use
to fill hard to get at gearboxes, etc for about $10-$11. Another idea is to use
a heavier oil, like 85 weight gear oil or similar to slow down the seepage a
little. It is not like you are running a conveyor or something with the
gearbox, but it is running very slow and not often.  I have even packed one
with light weight grease that will lubricate and not hardly leak at all.
The best thing is to replace the oil seals but there are several products out
there that swell up the seals (stop leaks) that you could mix with the
lubricant before you inject it and maybe get some on the seals to help.
my $ .02
Dale K4HVR