Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical antennas and lightning

To: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical antennas and lightning
From: "Jim Miller KG0KP" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:21:47 -0500
Dan, if you place a coil across the feedpoint, you will have a DC grounded
antenna and it will bleed off the static electricity.

For instance, the Butternut vertical does exactly that and you can make the
coil very easily.  This makes an exact duplicate of what comes with the
Butternut.  Wrap 18 turns of #14 bare copper wire (the ground wire from a
piece of romex for instance) around a 1 3/8 inch outside diameter form (PVC
can be had in this dimension).  Leave enough to make a loop on each end to
connect it across the feedpoint.  This will take about 6.5 feet plus the
ends and loops.  Start with 8 ft and you will have enough.  Strech the
finished to about 3.25 inches when mounted.

73, de Jim KG0KP