[TowerTalk] cutting galvanized tower legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cutting galvanized tower legs
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 00:00:56 -0700
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:01:04 -0700
From: Dan H <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cutting galvanized tower legs

On 7/31/2010 4:40 PM, Gary Slagel wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My triex w51 crankup folded over in a windstorm the other day.  I'm going to
> have to do some cutting on it to get it all the way down and apart.
>
> What is the best way to cut this stuff?  Is there a metal cutting blade I can
> put in a circular say?  Some kind of metal cutting disk I can use with my
> handheld disk grinder/sander?
>
> Thanks for advice.
>
> Gary Slagel/N0SXX
> Hot Springs, SD
> http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351

##  I just went through this, trying to cut down an old steel clothes line
pole.   The 4"/5" cut off wheels will fit an angle grinder... but were not deep
enough to cut the  1/2"  bolts.
[Previous owner had used 1/2"  bolts  to bolt 2" angle steel to the sides of 4"
OD pipe... and the entire mess had rusted.]

## The 7 1/4"  cut off wheels  will fit a  circular saw.. but the motor was in
the way of the job.   Ended up buying a new Milwaukee brand sawzal.   This
thing is built like a tank.
You can also rotate the front/back end in 45 deg increments... so you can do
cool stuff.... like cut sideways... without having to turn the unit 90
degs..and trashing ur wrist.

## The cut off wheels work... BUT... they will NOT flex.  Once 1/2 way through
some material... you don't want to shift the machine a little bit side to
side... or the 3/32"  thick
abrasive wheel   will literally  shatter and explode in your face.   The bigger
the diam of the cut of wheel... the more likely the case it can shatter.    I
see you can get cut of wheels up to 16"
diam... but the 10-16" variety are usually used in chop saws.. so can't shift
about.  All the cut off wheels I saw  from 4"-16" were all 3/32"  thick.    I
have seen two wheels break in the last
15 years.. and it's a real mess.   You want to be wearing a full face shield
when using a  4/5"  or  7  1/4" cut off wheel.

##  although a sawzal  with a 8-14 teeth per inch bladeS will work on tower
legs... if you have to do a LOT of cuts.... an acetylene torch would make
shorter work of the project.
If the tower legs  pinch the sawzal blades.. that's no good either.

## OK.... WHY did the triex  W-51 fold over ??   Was it overloaded ?   What's
it rated for?   Did you have a lot of mast out the top ?    Where on the tower
did it fold ?

Later........ Jim  VE7RF