Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System? W8JI input.....please

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System? W8JI input.....please
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:57:15 -0700
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:13:44 -0500, John Frazier wrote:

>is this thing worth a darn or not?

AFAIK, W8JI does not read this reflector, so I'll respond.

Yes, most of it is fine. Some things that are less than good:

1) The station ground rod should be bonded to the other rods DIRECTLY
on/in the ground, not ONLY through the shack.

2) The ICE arrestor should be AT THE STATION, NOT down on the ground.

3) There IS benefit from bonding the coax shield at the ground rod, then
bringing it to the shack, so when you move the protector, keep that bond.

4) I've heard no mention of CATV or telco grounds. They ALSO need to be
bonded to the power and shack rods.

73, Jim K9YC