Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting tubing

To: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting tubing
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:03:51 -0400
On 8/8/2010 N2TK, Tony wrote:

> I needed to cut off a piece of 2” x ½” walled 4130 tubing. Tried a Sawzall
> with a diamond encrusted blade with cutting fluid. That was pretty much
> useless. Made only a small cut after several minutes

Diamond is the WRONG material for cutting ferrous metals - if the blade gets at
all hot (and it will), the diamond can actually dissolve into the steel,
raising it's carbon content, making both the steel harder, AND dulling the
blade.  It's the reason you can't/shouldn't use PCD tooling on steel in a
machine shop.  They use CBN for steel, plain carbide, or just good old High
Speed Steel

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)