Re: [TowerTalk] gorilla hooks

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] gorilla hooks
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:42:24 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> On 8/14/2010 12:49 PM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
>> In a message dated 8/14/2010 8:44:34 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
>> xdavid@cis-broadband.com writes:
>>
>> The  gorilla hooks release and open all in the same hand gripping motion,
>> so it  is not appreciably slower than simply climbing or  descending.
> Mine use a carabiner (sp?) type fastener which is a royal pain in the
> back side at my age. You have to twist and pull and to me the directions
> are backwards. Having used regular carabiners these seem different.

There are lots of clever locking carabiner designs out there.  A lot of
them are really designed to be connected once (hooking the rappel rack
to the harness, for instance)  and disconnected once, so are
deliberately hard to clip/unclip.  Very different from what you'd use,
say, in clipping into your protection or in aid climbing, where you want
to be able to reach up and snap the 'biner into the loop with one hand.