Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:44:44 -0700
One problem not mentioned in this thread is the short survival time if
suspended by a full body harness.  While there is a product being sold,
here is a web site with a lot of sobering information

http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/suspensiontrauma.php

Also, the OSHA fall arrest specs assume a fall twice the length of the
tether - a person standing on a platform with a 6' tether has a center
of gravity fall exceeding 6'.  This is not likely the case for tower
climbing so the arrest may or may not be as forceful, depending on how
the arrest tether performs.  Rescue time on a tower if suspended in a
full body harness is almost certainly longer than survival time.  Ergo,
self rescue to a stable (likely injured) survivable position has to be
an important capability.  Getting body parts tangled in the tower are
likely in any fall when tethered by any means.

Falls are ugly - having a work plan and equipment that prevent falls (or
makes them very short) IMHO is the better approach.

I used an arborist tree climbing harnesses/saddle, designed to support
your body weight safely and with enough D rings to use two 5' climbing
tethers (one always on) and one very short one for tie on at a work
location.  Mine is old, here are newer models

http://www.wesspur.com/Saddles/saddles-harnesses.html

Take care,

Grant
KZ1W