Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Discernible Difference

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Discernible Difference
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:57:53 -0700
Hi Dave,

I didn't listen, but I did read, and I think both your methodoloy and
conclusions make sense. One thing I WOULD change though is to work in the
WAV format rather than MP3. 16 bit 8 kHz is enough. The compression to make
MP3 files adds digital artifacts that could cloud the results. In essence,
compression removes bits that the algorithm doesn't think are important,
then, on playback, guesses at what bits were deleted and reinserts them.
That happens each time you do something, so it happens when you record the
initial files and play them to mix with each other, and it happens again
when you save the resulting file and play it back to listen.

FWIW -- I just finished a new 160M antenna that NEC predicts should be good
for 3dBi at an elevation of 15 degrees. Initial comparisons of groundwave
signals at several locations with the new antenna and the old one suggest
that 2dB is more like it. The old one is an 86ft vertical with 100 ft of
top loading over 70 radials.

It's an interesting antenna -- my SteppIR is on a 118 ft tower, with about
4 ft of additional mast. NEC thinks the tower plus mast plus SteppIR is
long enough to act as a reflector for a wire that slopes away from the
tower at about 30 degrees or so. No connection to the tower, and it's held
about 5 ft away from the tower at the top. I've added 4 elevated radials
(ala N6LF) to both the tower and the feedpoint of the wire. The azimuth of
the slope is about 80 degrees. And, of course, I've rigged a second version
of this antenna on the other side of the tower to get gain toward VK and
JA. It's a pretty broad pattern, +/- 55 degrees for 1dB down from the peak,
and about 7dB F/B.

I'd appreciate comparative reports between this antenna and the old one,
especially within the main lobes, and especially with the voltmeter
function in the K3. They're rigged so I can switch instantaneously.

73, Jim K9YC