Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Anetnnas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Anetnnas
From: Mike <nf4l@nf4l.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:09:23 -0400
  My 4 element SteppIR has been up 7 years now with absolutely no mechanical
woes. I
took it down last August because I took a lightning strike that pretty well
wiped my
station out.

There was no lightning damage to the antenna, but I found the rubber boots had
deteriorated badly, and the jacket on control cable to the motors was getting
crisp.
In addition there was a deterioration to the finish of the fiberglass tubes.

I ordered the 34/40 trombone element, and a new set of boots (Fernco). I
painted the
old fiberglass with a Krylon spray made for plastics, and encased the control
wires
in automotive wire loom I got from NAPA.

I also replaced the control cable junction block with a home brew one. The
instructions and pictures are on the SteppIR Yahoo group site.

Would I do it again? Yep, in a heartbeat.

73, Mike NF4L