[TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Tower Install

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Tower Install
From: rabrus@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:51:03 -0500
I am in the process of planning tower erection of my Rohn 45.   I have my
base section poured and am now planning on guy anchors.   I am erecting
right next to the house and will install  a house bracket at 23 feet and
am planning one set of guy wires at 65 feet on a 67 foot tower.    I am
planning on 8 feet above the tower with a mast., and antennas to be
mounted are a TH-11 at 3 feet above the tower, a small 6 meter beam, a 15
element 2 meter beam and 2 meter vertical antenna at the top.

My questions is whether or not my plans for elevated guy wire anchors are
sufficient.   I am planning on 4 to 5" pipe.  Lengths are 15 feet and I
would like to put them 5 feet in the ground with 10' exposed to have
plenty of room to drive under the guys with vehicles.  With this height I
was planning 48 feet from the tower base to keep the angles on the guys
close to the Rohn suggested install.     I was planning on drilling an 18"
hole 5 feet deep with 6" of gravel in the base for drainage  The pipes
would then be set in 4.5 feet of concrete.

Two questions.  First, will this be sufficient for my guy anchors or do I
need to lower them to 8 feet or worst case for me is 6 foot.  Second, is
there any reason I need to fill the posts with concrete.   I have seen
multiple posts with a multitude of ideas on this type of installation
recommendations and am looking to ensure I am engineered sufficient to
keep the tower in the air.
Thanks

Bob
WV0C