Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cable size

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Cable size
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:31:42 -0700
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:21:21 -0400, cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

>My guess is the 2-14 would be sufficient.

It depends on the operating voltage and current of the motor. Although
it's a simple Ohm's law problem, sometimes it's not easy to find what
values to plug into the equation, because the mfr sometimes doesn't tell
you in a form that you can use.

When  I did that last year for a 350 ft run to a Yaesu rotor, I spent
time with the manual (and with the rotor, measuring its DCR), so that I
could translate the mfr recommendations for wire size into IR drop. I
translated Yaesu's wire size requirements for a given cable length into
Ohms, then used Ohm's law and the wire tables to figure out what wire
size I needed. For my 350 ft run, the result was that I needed #14-2 for
the motor, but could live with a much smaller size for the sensing
circuit.

73, Jim K9YC