[TowerTalk] Antenna Swittch - Grounded or Open Unused

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Swittch - Grounded or Open Unused
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 06:01:24 -0700
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 21:18:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Contacts
To: towertalk@contesting.com

I am about to replace my 30 year old Ameritron antenna switch with a DX
Engineering unit.  It will be placed at the top of the tower to select between
the various antennas - wire slopers for 160 and 80, inverted vees for 75 and
40, and the Steppir ( currently under repair) for the rest of HF.  I will not
have multiple antennas selected at the same time.  What is best - to wire the
switch so that unused ports are normally grounded or open?  My inclination
would be to ground all the unused antennas, but since the switch is shipped
normally open I have an element of doubt.

Thanks --

Keith
AC9S

##  My Array Solutions remote switch box is wired so that all the DE-energized
ports 1-6  have their center conductor's  grnded.
With the 12 vdc shut off.. OR  if the rotary switch is switch is sitting on
positions 7-12... all 6 x relays  are  De-energized.
The AS box is a 1 in, 6 out remote switch box.   The control box for it uses a
12 x pos rotary switch....and the 1st 6 are used.
The AS box uses 6 x DPDT relays...with all contacts in parallel.  [ double the
RF current capacity + redundant contacts]

##  The COM [moveable contact] goes to the hot side of the coax connector for
each ant port.   NC goes to the grnd buss strap.
NO  goes to the hot 2 kw buss [ bonded to the hot side of the input connector].
  As  you can see, the de-energized  ports are all grnded,  via the
NC  grnded buss.     All  6 x braids are grnded to top of tower... via the
metal box.  In the event of an electrical storm...and  with
all relays  De-energized... both the center conductor's  AND the braids of all
6 ports are grnded to the top of the tower.

##  I'd install a lightning arrestor at the base of the well grnded tower..and
a 2nd on on your SPG.  Then you are covered.

later... Jim   VE7RF