Re: [TowerTalk] Reflector element question...

To: "Geoffrey Way" <wayg@cape-vision.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reflector element question...
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:18:19 -0500
Geoff,

The length and the diameter and length of each diameter (taper schedule)
will affect the performance.  You would not want to look at the overall
length dimensions for elements of a 6m design in the handbook and then
use tubing of the same length that is twice the diameter.  With the
right dimensions, however, you can make what you have work well -
perhaps even better than what you would have had using the smaller
diameter tubing the article calls for.  I have no idea where that
particular antenna has its best gain or F/B but you can certainly
adversely affect both by making the reflector a different electrical
length than what the design calls for.

I just looked at a design of a 5 element 6M Yagi that had 31+ dB of F/B
at 50.1.  Increasing the length of the reflector by 2 inches overall
dropped the F/B by about 6 dB.  Generally speaking increasing the length
will help the F/B at a lower frequency than where it was previously
best.  For example, while it dropped 6 dB at 50.1 it got better at 49.9
by about 4 dB.

Stan, K5GO