[TowerTalk] Skyhawk

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:17:14 -0500 (CDT)
I am a little behind, but I thought I would offer my Skyhawk observations.  I
had one for a few years - worked very well, but the boom broke in an ice storm.
 I have a 3el Steppir on the ground now for electrical repairs and am
considering either a TH7 or Skyhawk in the near future.  If I do the Skyhawk
again I am going to put a DX Engineering Boom Truss on it.  I suspect I
wouldn't have lost the first one had the boom been trussed.  The other sore
spot with the Skyhawk is the elements are a bit on the wimpy side.  All the 20
meter elements took a permanent "set" (were drooping excessively downward)after
the boom broke.  Actually the front half was on the ground, but the driven
elements and reflectors were on the tower.  Right now I am using the driven
elements from the Skyhawk while the Steppir is under repair.  I managed ZS8M
with the driven elements, so don't knock a simple rotatable dipole - @90'.

Keith
AC9S