[TowerTalk] LMR-400 or Davis RG-213 (Kevin Elliott)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 or Davis RG-213 (Kevin Elliott)
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:20:15 -0400

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kevin Elliott <kg0mn@yahoo.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 or Davis RG-213
To: towertalk@contesting.com

Hi Group,

I will be ready to install my new tower in about 3 weeks once the concrete
has a
chance to get accustomed to its new home.  My question is which of these two

choices of coax is going to be the best and easiest to work with?  I will
have a
100' run and it will be used with a Mosley TA-33 so the area I am concerned
about is the rotor loop and any turns of coax I might want to place on the
boom
of the antenna.  I currently do not have either coax in hand and therefore I

have to ask the experts.

Tnx and 73
KG0MN = Kevin

Kevin

These are two very different coaxes. Times LMR400 is a double shielded coax
with a copper clad Al solid center conductor while RG213 is a single braid
with a stranded copper center conductor. LMR is stiffer due to the solid
center conductor and I don not recommend it for feeding a rotating antenna.
I prefer coax with a stranded center conductor.

IMHO, for a 100' run at HF, RG213 is a perfectly acceptable choice to feed
your beam antenna. It is flexible and easy to work with. The Times cable
starts to shine in longer runs and at higher frequencies.

Yes, I sell them both.

73 Craig

Craig Clark K1QX
Radioware