Re: [TowerTalk] 6BTV vs HF2Vvsr DX Engineering 10-80 vertical, or Force

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6BTV vs HF2Vvsr DX Engineering 10-80 vertical, or Force 12 flagpole
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:05:49 -0400
 > Just wondering how the 6BTV plays against something like a Butternut
 > HF2V, DX Engineering's 40 ft 10-80 vertical, or Force 12s flagpole
 > vertical? Looking mainly for something decent on 40/80.

The 6BTV would have several traps in circuit on both 80 and 40 meters.
Efficiency would be a lot lower than any of the other three you mention
given that the full height is active for each of them.  The Butternut
is a known quantity ... you can improve it somewhat by adding the top

The DX Engineering 43' vertical is also a known quantity but if I
were going to take that approach I would find the least expensive 43'
vertical kit and modify it using the AD5X matching system (QST,
Dec 2009 and Jan 2010) perhaps augmented with a series capacitor
for 40 meters.  The 43' vertical promises to be somewhat more efficient
than the Butternut but will be more work.

The force 12 flagpole is shorter than either of the other two and will
be correspondingly less efficient on 80 (and 160).

No matter which antenna you end up with, spend the time and effort to
do the best ground system you can.  The ground system (radials) will
make all the difference.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV