[TowerTalk] ladders

To: 'Towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ladders
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:19:44 -0700
If you're 55+, using a ladder seems to have a lot of risk.

http://apha.confex.com/apha/135am/recordingredirect.cgi/id/17261
(you can click on a pdf link there)

in this study: (workplace fatalies)

Relative risks of ladder fatalities increase precipitously by age compared to
other work fatalities in the US.

Ladder fall fatality rate for 65+ age group is 14x the ladder fall fatality
rate for 16-24 age group.

Fall circumstances similar across all age groups.
Fatalities in older workers occur from lower heights.
Mean height feet: 16 ft. for ages 55+ vs. 29 ft. for ages 16-34

Increased fatality risks for falls for older workers much greater for ladders
when compared to other fatal injuries,
including falls from elevations not involving ladders (be interesting to know
if that applies to tower climbing.. I kind
of doubt anyone who claims they're as fit as a 20 year old..that's wishful
thinking?..

Height means nothing, I think, if you're worried about dying. You can die from
<20 ft.

-kevin
ad6z