Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permitting

To: "jimlux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permitting
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:29:39 -0400
Sorry, I don't consider them reasonable and I don't have to accept them!

I built a garage, with a little frame breezeway (10X14) between it and the
house.  The jerk doing my final inspection said I had to have 5/8" bolts
through the band joists into the house and garage every three feet, because
it was a "deck" and decks have their very own code here.  They have their
own code because a shyster contractor built an apartment house near a
college nearby and didn't attach the decks properly.  As has happened more
than once, the college kids loaded the (second floor) deck with 50 or so
people and it separated from the building, with predictable results!

When I got the head man out and asked if he thought a judge would consider a
floor supported on two sides by buildings a deck, he agreed with me and
passed the structure.

Electrical?  Have you ever heard of GFCI breakers?  They tried to make a
friend wire his whole shop, concrete floor, with them, at about $60 each!
BS, that was about $1000 worth of hardware easily replaced by common GFCI
receptacles!  IMHO, the electrical code serves primarily the manufacturers
who help write it and the many inspectors who live by enforcing it.

OK, I didn't intend to extend my rant and I'm very aware we are way OT, so
I'm not going to say more.  Just please resist ridiculous and intrusive
regulations whenever you can.

73,
Wilson
W4BOH