Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:41:36 +0100
Some years ago, I had the problem of ants taking over the 21mhz trap of a
ground mounted Hygain 18AVQ/WB ground mounted vertical overnight. I had set
the vertical up on the grass lawn to try it out, prior to then moving it up
to the rooftop. It was pure chance that I decided to run one more resonance
check before lifting it to the roof. I had to dismantle the trap and clear
the ants from the trap interior, from memory; they were none too pleased
with my intrusion.

However, having had that experience with insects, I dismantled all the
traps, tightly wrapped 0.5 inch ptfe plumbers tape over the inductor of each
trap, reassembled the traps, and plugged the open ends using fine fibre
glass mat, this keeps the insects out and lets the trap ventilate.
The use of glass fibre mat may be the solution you are looking for.

I hope this may be of interest. 73, John G3JVC/GM3JVC.