[TowerTalk] Sigma 180-S / 280-S

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sigma 180-S / 280-S
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:11:14 -0700
If anybody owns either  a F-12  Sigma 180-S or  280-S.[ both 80m ants].. or
knows somebody who does own
either one,  perhaps you could stick a few watts into  it on 20m, and see  what
kind of swr
you have on 20m.    If you have the time, perhaps sweep it with a MFJ/etc,  and
see where it
does resonate.  Not all these ants  will resonate on their 3/5th harmonics.
The F-12  340-N  [3-el 40m yagi]
does not resonate on 15m.... it resonates  just below the 12m band.

What baffles me is  3.5 x 3 =  10.5 mhz.     10.5/14.2 =  .74       The 80m
ant, on it's 3rd harmonic is
26%  lower in freq than 20m.     I have heard several horror stories now of 80m
arrays  completely
screwing up 20m yagi's that are in close proximity.  Rotating the 80 + 20m
arrays , so their booms are
90 deg to each other does not always work.    The 35' booms  used on both the
280-S and 340N   will screw
up 20m real fast.

I noticed that Optibeam uses decoupling rods on their 4-el 40m  yagis.  They
won't screw up a 15m yagi, nor
another HF array.   Does anybody know how this is done ?   Can this technique
be adapted to an 80m array ?

Jim   VE7RF