Re: [TowerTalk] Building permit Wichita Kansas

To: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building permit Wichita Kansas
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:45:15 -0400
Ryan's situation is very similar to mine. Fort Lauderdale limits all
residential buildings to a height of 35' in the "Unified Land Development
Regulations" but there is an exception by ordinance that says the height
restriction does not apply to "amateur radio towers and masts." Elsewhere in
the ULDR, there is a definition of "towers" which specifically excludes
"amateur radio structures."

The building and zoning management here says that they have never
encountered this law! I can find no permitted amateur radio  In Florida, so
that's likely true. The hams I've spoken with said that it was futile, but
no one could tell me that they applied and been denied!

We have a set of laws that make pretty much everything the state and lower
government agencies do public record, outside of law enforcement and legal
proceedings, so I watched progress on my application carefully. If you'd
like to follow the progress of my permit through the City's system, click
below:
https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/egovplus/permit/plan_details.aspx?permit_no=10090718

When the first plans examiner failed my plans at zoning because of the 35'
height requirement, I made an appointment with him (before the application
could be rejected) and very politely but assertively made him aware of the
ordinance that excluded amateur radio "towers and masts" from the ULDR.
Since then, I've spoken with the director of zoning a number of times. He
told me that it is his opinion that they must issue the permit, but he needs
approval from the City Attorney's office to do so because, in the original
plans reviewers words, "There's nothing that specifically allows it." All I
want to hear is that there is nothing prohibiting it!

At the City Attorney's office, the land use attorney has deferred to the
City Attorney to make a decision. That's a good sign - it appears that
neither zoning nor the land use attorney can find a reason to deny the
permit. We're all waiting on him to decide whether or not a permit will be
issued. I imagine that he is researching the law and going to make a
decision whether to allow it or litigate, but it could be sitting in his
inbox... it has only been 3 weeks.

The law is clear. Actions not otherwise prohibited are allowed. I should get
my permit.

I've written on TowerTalk in an earlier posting about my submission - I
followed advice in Fred Hopengarten's book very closely and submitted a fat
application package with engineering data (PE stamped), a certified survey
of my property with the antenna location marked to scale, explanation (and
corrected cited) laws at the local, state and Federal level supporting my
case, including limited references to case law. I've written subsequent
letters supporting my position to zoning officials and they've been very
responsive.

Where I live, all the City codes and ordinances are available at
municode.com.

Although I know of several "after the fact" code enforcement cases in Fort
Lauderdale, where the ham didn't get a permit and got pounded by the city, I
know of no one who has actually followed the process to get a permit. That's
what I'm attempting.

Time will tell - they'll either approve or deny it. Either way, it will be
interesting.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is good advice.
>
> But you will never know what will happen until you ask the building
> official.
>
> Reading the ordinances can be a bit tricky as some places have
> gigantic, elaborate antenna ordinances and then somewhere else they
> will exempt amateur radio completely or have a different set of rules
> to satisfy PRB-1.  For example, my town's antenna ordinance limits
> towers to 80ft, requires a conditional use permit, co-location with
> other wireless facilities if possible, free use by the town for public
> safety antennas, a public hearing and 20 copies (I think that's what
> it was) of all documentation.  All wireless communications facility
> must have a fence and other requirements.
>
> That's fine until you go to the definition of what is an antenna and
> what is a wireless communications facility.  Turns out that the
> definition does not include any towers used exclusively by ham
> operators or other residential users (such as CB or TV antennas).
> Even the building official had to consult with the town's land use
> attorney before they OK'ed my building permit. All I needed was a NJ
> UCC building permit and not a zoning permit, conditional use permit,
> variance or any other special permission.
>
> Anyway, the long and short of it is YMMV.
>
> Ryan, N2RJ
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM, K0DAN <k0dan@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I haven't built anything in Wichita but I know the generic civil process.
> >
> > If you want to "study up" before you present yourself and your project to
> > the codes enforcement people (and that's a good idea), you should go the
> > city (if you're in incorporated Wichita) or county courthouse, and ask to
> > get a copy of their planning & zoning regs, and building and construction
> > codes. If you're lucky these will be in digital form and they'll give it
> > you or sell to you for a nominal fee. It is public information, and that
> is
> > the roadmap you must follow.
> >
> > Once you have the codes, spend several nights going thru the index and
> find
> > the section(s) that relate to external structures, buried or overhead
> > cables, and other stuff that fits in your plan. Get a good understanding
> of
> > what they expect and when you go to apply for your permit, make sure that
> > you have dotted your I's and crossed your T's. Show them everything they
> > expect to see. At a minimum have the complete US Tower documentation and
> be
> > prepared to show how the plans meet or exceed the specs. Having a plat of
> > your property, which you have drawn to-scale locations and details will
> be
> > very help to your cause. If there are restrictions on tower height,
> set-back
> > from other property, be sure you have identified them and show that
> plainly
> [...]

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.