[TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?
From: Mat Eshpeter <kk1c@live.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:28:40 -0400
I purchased a 6 year old US Tower HDX-589MDPL crank-up from  an SK's estate
last year. It has been sitting horizontal since it was delivered from US Tower
- it has never been put into service -- but it appears to be in great shape
with no rust. I have had it at my cabin location near Romney, WV the past year
covered by a tarp.

Before I decide to go ahead with installing the tower, I would like to know
what repairs I should expect. My cabin is about 110 miles away from where I
live so I can't run out and inspect it easily. My cabin is not yet built --  I
don't have access to power at the cabin, so I can't even power up the motor at
this point in time.

I expect that I will need to replace the cable and perhaps the pulleys.  I also
think the motor may need to be replaced and perhaps limit switches too.

My thought is that if this project is going to be a huge effort, it might be
better to sell the tower and go with a simpler tower like an AN Wireless
freestanding tower. Because the tower isn't located where I can get to it very
often, refurbing this thing is going to take quite awhile if the effort is at
all significant.

Crank-up veterans -- please let me know what I am up against here in terms of
both cost and complexity of repair.

thanks,
Mat
KK1C