Re: [TowerTalk] M2 40M2L

To: "Shane Mattson--"@contesting.com>K1ZR <k1zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 40M2L
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:27:49 -0500
but it had linear loading, as well), and full-size 2-element and 4-element
40-meter monobanders.

I believe the M2 shorty 40 is mechanically far superior to the 40-2CD.  So much
so, I would far sooner have that 40-meter antenna at the top of my tower than
any of the others I've used.  Electrically it is not superior, however, because
ice and snow will cause the frequency of minimum SWR to move more than 50 kHz.
I can't say for sure how far, since my "dry weather" minimum SWR frequency is
7.050, and sometimes in the winter it drops below 7.000.  Most of the year I
was unable to run legal limit with my Alpha 99 because the reflected power
protection circuit would kick it off the air on the low end of the band, but
there have been times during the winter months when accumulated ice allowed me
to get back to 1500 watts.

It is my OPINION, based on rather rudimentary and not always consistent S-meter
measurements of received signal strengths while rotating the 40M2LL, that the
"dry weather" forward gain of my 2-element array disappears by the bottom of
the band (with the beam assembled with the 7.050 dimensions).  Next time I take
it down, I'll make some element changes to move the sweet spot on the forward
gain curve down 25 kHz or so, but I have some serious EZNEC modeling work to do
first.

Despite its mechanical limitations, my 25-year-old 40-2CD was a phenomenal
performer year-round until about four years ago, when a massive October ice
storm broke it into smaller parts.  That's when I switched to the M2.  If I
ever get any spare time one of these years, I'll finish rebuilding the 40-2CD
with the W6NL strengthening mods so I can put it back up.  One can never have
enough aluminum up in the air.

I'm not familiar enough with the XM240 to know if it has any strengthened
members a la W6NL, but if that's the direction you choose, I'd make sure it
does or I'd add some before putting it up.  Ice storms are no stranger to your
part of the country!

Bud, W2RU