Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 pipe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 pipe
From: Roger Halstead <Roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 02:57:23 -0500
On 9/28/2010 11:16 AM, Michael Baker wrote:
> Hey Roger,
>
>       A couple of thoughts came to mind.
>       Look for a metals recycler in the area. If they have a separate area
> for steel and aluminum then they might have used steel pipe.
>
>       Another source (not necessarily the cheapest) would be a commercial
> building fire suppression company. They use a lot of large pipe in the
> vertical sections between the roof and various floors in both intake and
> exit water lines.
It's unlikely this would be the same material used in structural steel
tube and the needed specs might be hard to find and that might make
getting it approved difficult.
> Their stuff is generally coupled with a clamp on coupling
> that uses a groove cut into the pipe ends and then the coupling straddles
> between the two cut grooves. (Victaulic Groove Coupling.) Those items would
> normally get stripped out of a building under demolition.
>       I worked in a large pipe shop when I was much younger so this is
> bringing up a lot of old memories. (Mostly not fun ones.) ;>)
>
>       Unless you need certification on the pipe from the manufacturer
> there is no reason you can't use used pipe as long as it still has its
> structural integrity. I am assuming that you are going to fill the pipe with
> concrete and a trio of tied rebar down the center and it will be buried
> fairly deep into the ground and into a concrete foundation.

IIRC he needed to have it approved by an engineer so he'd need those
figures.
>       Pipe comes in two popular flavors in that size. A53 and A106. A53 is
> a butt welded pipe and A106 is seamless (and more expensive).         Normally
> this material is NOT galvanized so IF you need it to be then you will have
> to get it to a plating company that can handle that size material. Not cheap
> but not too unreasonable as I recall. (I can't think why you must but that's
> just me.) The Pipe is normally covered with a lacquer material to retard
> rusting in storage.
>
>       Keep us posted with your results. They might help the next guy.

I'm not the one who was looking for the pipe.

BTW when you get to 5 and 6" or larger pipe, you can make a cage of 3 or
4 rebars on about 4" centers run down the center and then pour the pipe
full of concrete.

73

Roger (K8RI)