[TowerTalk] Who makes bearings..with a real steel base, and NOT cast iro

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Who makes bearings..with a real steel base, and NOT cast iron ??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:34:33 -0800
One of my two drum bearings on my old style UST  HDX-689 has 2 x huge cracks on
the very end of the flange, where the 5/8"  bolt hole is.
These 2" drum bearings look almost identical to the 2"  mast bearings.   Both
are a 2 x hole mount, and both use a cast iron base.  One look,
and I could see what has happened.  The tension on the lift cable, will pull
the 2" shaft and mating bearing upwards. This  stress's the lower
bolt hole on the bearing....which has hardly any 'meat' around it at all.  Cast
iron typ has high carbon content, and is really brittle. It's very easy
to break cast iron.   The 2 x cracks  extend up to the bolt hole...and the
small piece of cast iron will fall right out.

I managed to get the giant 6"  sprocket off, and also the elipitical locking
collar off the 2" solid shaft.  Had  to use a lot of heat to get the sprocket
off
since it was seized up tight.  OK,  who makes a 2 x hole bearing, but with a
real steel base..and NOT cast iron ??    I don't need a repeat down the road.
I see that stainless steel bearings  are readily available,  but these too
appear to have the same cast iron base.   The  C to C spacing between the
2 x bolt holes is exactly 7.25".  The ID of the bearing is slightly bigger than
2".

If anybody knows where  I can get a real  bearing, even if it's a custom job,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.... Jim   VE7RF