Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 and Ice

To: "Steve Walters" <K4IKM@ptd.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 and Ice
From: "B. Nowak" <n8snm@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:54:26 -0500
I am a somewhat new TX455 owner (installed Fall '07) and live in SE
Michigan.
Severe ice storms are rare in this part of Michigan but I can tell you what
to look for if you get freezing temps.

My tower (and likely most) has solid rod inserted in the lower 15 in. or so
of the outer (lower) sections' legs.  While this is beneficial from a
strengthening perspective, it means that water weep holes must be provided.
A few weeks ago I was shocked to discover that two of the legs (lower
section) of my tower had splits in them from internal water freezing!  This
is when I realized there is no provision in the legs to drain water.  The
legs are open at the top of the section and completely plugged at the
bottom, so lots of rain water will collect inside the legs.  I am working
with US Tower to resolve the issue.

Make sure your tower legs cannot hold water!

73,
Brad - N8SNM