Re: [TowerTalk] are TM and TB-1 traps the same?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, K9AJ@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] are TM and TB-1 traps the same?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:22:23 -0500
 > A local has recently had to repair his CushCraft A-3WS yagi and I
 > gave him two of my CushCraft TM traps.  To replace my TM traps, he
 > ordered replacement 17m traps from CushCraft/MFJ.  What he received
 > was TB-1 traps.  The invoice from CushCraft/MFJ said these were 17m
 > traps.   So are TM and TB-1 traps the same?

The TB-1 and TM traps are almost certainly not the same.  If you
look at the manuals for the A3WS and A103 (10 meter add-on), the TB-1
is the inner (12 Meter) trap on the A3WS; it would be resonant about
24.5 MHz (isolates the 12 and 17 meter sections of the elements).  TM
is trap from the A-103 add-on (the 17 meter trap) and is resonant about
17.5 MHz (isolates the 17 and 10 meter sections of the driven element).

As a confirming point, look at the D3W (10/17/12 meter dipole) manual;
it shows that TL (TB-1 with a different "outboard end") is the inner
24 MHz (12 meter) trap and TM is outer, the 18 MHz (17 Meter) trap.

The A3WS manual is here:
    http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/pdffiles/951370.pdf
The A103 manual is here:
    http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/pdffiles/A103.pdf