Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ
From: K8RI on TowerTalk <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:35:46 -0500
On 11/24/2010 8:12 PM, Drax Felton wrote:
> I own 7 MFJ products and they all work fine.  Many of us can't drop $800++
> on a silver plated tuner from Palstar.
Palstar makes silver plated tuners?  They must have forgotten mine and
$800 would be a bargain.
I had both the top end MFJ and the AT-5K side by side.  Other than they
are both tuners and both worth what they charge for them, there's not
much comparison.  Tuners that will run the legal limit and cover all of
160 with the antenna a tad long without arcing are few. At that time MFJ
didn't have one and Palstar did.  I had a pair of those tuners. One was
early production and the other I traded for.   They had reached the
point where the rotary inductors needed to be cleaned, but that was the
only thing they needed after all those years.

This is not a complaint about the MFJ tuners. They worked just fine and
operated within spec.  All tuners (that I know of) are derated when
operating into a very low impedance antenna.  I needed something "a bit
more beefy".

Now the only complaint I ever had about MFJ was an add for a TNC that
stated right on top, that soft ware was included. to me that means I
don't have to purchase any.  What I received was a TNC with a bunch of
trialware. Not at all what I expected.

As for their equipment, they sell a wide range.  QC could be a bit
better, but I've never seen it to be out of line for the cost of the
equipment.  Nearly all manufacturers have "something slip through" now
and then.

When I think MFJ I think ... inexpensive equipment.

When I purchased the AT5K I didn't have to advertise the MFJ tuners. I
had a couple of the locals ask if I was going to part with them.
Sometimes I think I should have kept them as I could use the parts for
remote tuners.

73

Roger (K8RI)