Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners
From: "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 00:09:45 -0500
Wow Rick! That is really amazing? You ever think of getting a decent
receiver?

For the past 59 years I have used a 'tuner' and wires, but alas, using wire
antennas and I've only got 327 countries confirmed? Do you think if I get a
REAL antenna I could make the honor roll?

73 Rick,

Tom - W4BQF

VK1OD did a nice analysis.  Unfortunately, many hams are simply
in a mode of "don't bother me with facts".  They desperately want to
believe in the paradigm of a tuner in the shack and a simple all band
antenna at the other end of the line, such as a plain vertical conductor,
or a random wire, or a "loop skywire", a "G5RV," or some sort of "Windom"
antenna.  All continue to live on in ham folklore.  I work them
all the time in contests; they are the stations that are ~20 dB down from
even a decent QRP or mobile station.  That is if I can copy them at all.

Rick N6RK