Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:23:14 -0500
The only heavy duty tuner that will handle full power on 160 is the N4XM
Xmatch (also called the low bander).  Jim Cain reviewed the Nye Viking
tuner in about 1982 for QST and found it came with a notice that it would
not handle high power on 160 if the SWR was too high.  The new MFJ and
Palstar tuners might do the job but I have not looked into the matter.

I use a Ten Tec tuner and it handles 80 to 10 OK
but if the 160 antenna is above 3 to 1 or 1 to 3 I usually add a big
transmitting mica on the rear to ground to make a good match.

Dave K4JRB